Monday, May 24, 2010

FABRIC PAPER / Labor of Love!

Grateful to insert and edit here for you enthusiasts!..love it!!!
Yes, emelie, you can use napkins, go for it. I will add here that i have used bits of yarn, fabric, metal and carolyn's (sister) idea, cheese cloth (esp. the open weave kind).
All of these take on the paint hue unifying the piece. i have used colored and printed tissues as well...all are wonderful, depending on what you are after! and when you use muslin as your substrate you can rip and tear the final piece just about any way you desire!
when finished, they truly are their own little works of art...though the beauty can be manipulation as desired...YES...this technique of beryl's, lends itself to a GREAT deal of EXPERIMENTATION!
Pat, it must have been so delightful with beryl, showing her creativity and techniques with ya'all!
Here's to many "Happy Accidents"!!! xoxo
Making a batch of "fabric paper" (beryl taylor, mixed media explorations)
and i wrote up an explanation for http://verdigrisrose.blogspot.com/ and posted directions on a recent blog comment to her...(lengthy process)...
but worth it's weight in gold for having a stash of just the right oomph you might need in a piece you are working on...you can rip some of them or cut the pieces...i am so in love with what this produces for accents etc. so am sharing the best i can. and i will gladly help answer any questions.
here is one sample of how different the fabrics are...

the sizes are about 8x8 inches or 9x10 inches.

i do A LOT of them in one afternoon as there are so many steps and want to make it worthwhile!

ripped pictures layed out...ready for the glue, paint and tissue paper layers..


the fabric squares are every content you can imagine...beryl taylor suggests,


muslin and felt (have use both and love em' all)...these different fabric samples lend themselves for wonderful surprises in using them within collage paintings and pieces...


sometimes the size of pea and other times, larger than your hand.


torn strips of tissue paper, fabric patterns and some handmade papers...



glue mixture, you can't do with out...ooey, gooey, messy!the painting part: i used lumiere metallic acrylics, pearl ex and watered down acrylic paint, and jacquard fabric paints...i make little cups of various washes to apply on top of glue, strips and pictures...i even use copied photos off my ink jet...they run a bit but are only enamored by this!
be sure to ENLARGE these photos, you will have a better idea of how they might look in person.
i iron them when they are completely dry.












































11 comments:

  1. OMG! Wanda these are super cool! I'm going to have to play hookey again so I can try it -soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try this,they are so cool looking and it seems like so much fun,kinda like doing a bunch of backgrounds(I love doing backgrounds and getting into paint up to my elbows) I love the face one. How did you do that one?Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pages! Don't you just love Beryl? I took a couple of classes from her two years ago and so love her accent and the things she shared with us! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled with this, and I ws wondering if you coould say which post you responded to so I could read that also.

    I also love the face one and the iris one so much just wonderful work that takes on a whole new look. This is the 3rd time I have come by to look at this. There will be more Wanda, because you got me again. Excited!! and Exciting!!

    thanks for the well wishes for tomorrow and your wonderful visits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanda--gorgeous!! And thank you so much for showing the process and also for the detailed instructions on verdigrisrose's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Wanda I read the instructions on verdigrisrose's blog which is a very nice blog also. Anyway I understand now better, I did understand before but was a little unsure. One could also use flowered napkins instead of tissue paper. this is going to be fun as soon as I get the time. However I want to do at least a couple before I forget the steps. Thank you again. Still just admiring that Iris piece. it hits me just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Emilie! Doesn't she just get you. I'm so lucky, whenever I can squeeze and evening or day, Wanda sets us up for a whole day of activities and I just LOVE it. I wish you could all come. She's got the music going and we just play all day. She inspires me so!
    little sis - Carolyn
    She's the most generous soul, I don't have much art time, but I keep trying to keep my finger in the pie, and Wanda's enthusiasm and explorations keep me excited! And she sends me home with all of your blog info to check out more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous and Wanda

    Yes most inspriring to come here and Meet people plus just loveing them. Thanks for the info and for your visits so much appreciated.

    I had a great class of 5 today doingmixed media art, I brought my try of odds and ends for them to incorperate and they did wonderful work and faces also and left feeling so accomplished with a nice piece of art. I had a g reat time also and it was a 5 hour class so we did a lot.
    So now to get on with things and do some ordinary and other things this week is so full of things.
    I will show when I get something ready Wanda and I have to think a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'd like to take this last comment OFF, but i can't figure it out...please go away januskieZ. thank you

    ReplyDelete

commen