Thursday, August 19, 2010

Growing LARGE!...and to SHARE!

I have painted some canvas', larger, way larger than my usual. the last one i did was 24"X34". and these 2 that i have exposed are15"X30".
when we share we grow and when we grow we share!
this is how the panels started out...
vandyke brown painted over white gesso ( i purchase these flat canvas' for $3. at the thrift store).
then i spray painted with white and black "valspar odds and ends" mini spray paint cans (on sale at michaels) over stencils.
one canvas i have muted down and shall on the other when nearly done. i just started painting without sketching, 2 different females, with titanium white and van dyke brown.



this one was first ( the colors are NOT true, i'll be taking them outside when finished so we can all appreciate them more!)
as you can see her hair is stenciled...i painted white and brown over the areas and then rubbed a wet rag over this paint for the black and white "effect".




i decided to leave her hair mainly white, as i loved the first female better before i covered it with the stenciling gig. i'd like them to go together as a pair of paintings, but they will stand on their own, single, as is.
Now my favorite but hard part, i must dress them, whether that be fabric and paint or paint and fabric! i'll show the final ladies when finished.
i truly want to encourage or help or advise with ANYTHING i can about going LARGE! it is a huge difference in so many ways, yet such an exciting learning curve as is all painting to me. i will gladly answer any questions now or even later...i am always so appreciative to those that have shared with me.


you can enlarge all or any of these to have a closer view.
they shall have words applied, i cannot break myself away from storytelling yet, if ever! and then my sweet husband and i will talk about how to frame them!
and funny thing...i am taking a break from the "august break"...it's exhausting and not enough time to post every single day...it was fun while it lasted!!!





8 comments:

  1. I love them! Especially the one with the white hair. It was neat to see them in progress. Everytime I go big or bigger I always mess up on the background and just put them down. Give me a piece of cheap paper and I can do anything. I think its a mental thing! I have two canvases sitting on the floor with messed up backgrounds. Thankfully somebody just gave me a bunch of canvases so I didnt waste any money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you mean by being a pair, and I don't know if it was on purpose but shown here tht side glance certainly says that. They have wonderful expressions.

    YOu probably know how I love backgrounds, so I really like those beginnings you showed, I don't know if you care for more in your final with the words.

    You have done some great hair also.
    One of my favorite things is to start a new day with a painting that is going well and I know I can work on it. Today tho means I have to start from scratch with something. I tend to waste time staring into space thinking and not doing. It is better to just get a move on and move with the feeling and ideas. This is advice for me. AS I type this I had this vision of big orange flowers, I saw some perennial Hibiscus the other day that were so beautiful.

    Ok I am rambleing and talking to much. Thinking of you doing artful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! I like that they have stories and are interrelated. I haven't tried anything too big before, just 24 by 30 or so I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are just exquisite, Wanda. You are really just knocking me out every time I click over.

    i just LOVE your encouragement to go BIG, and that you initially took that step awhile back :) I've just now gotten brave enough to start playing big too and it's utterly amazing how different it is.

    I can't wait to see how you decide to frame these amazing ladies. (I hope you'll let us all see :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you won't believe it, but shortly after reading your blog about the orange dragonfly I SAW ONE!!

    your ladies are looking lovely- can't wait to see them dressed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome paintings!! I love your unique style. And . . . I'm going to work on a step-by-step. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I know what you mean about going large. I've been getting larger lately and loving it. I feel like it gives me room to imagine anything. I know this is a mental thing, but I enjoy it. These are really nice. I like the tones. Thanks for the process pictures.

    ReplyDelete

commen